I cannot believe it’s been almost a year since Corban’s first St. Patrick’s day. Time has flown! Now that he’s a year old, and has 12 teeth, I can actually feed him some of the cute holiday food recipes I come up with. Since avocado is one of his favorite foods, it made perfect sense to use it to create some healthy green kid food for St. Patrick’s Day. Up first, is this adorably healthy green breakfast, Shamrock Avocado Toast with an Egg in a Basket.
Egg in a basket, or eggs in the basket, is a classic breakfast, and a fun little twist on a fried egg and toast. A piece of bread is hollowed out in the center, and placed in a hot, buttered skillet. Then a whole egg is cracked into the hole, and the egg fries while the bread toasts. An easy way to make this breakfast even more special, is to use a holiday themed cookie cutter to cut out the center of your bread.
I find that when I use a cookie cutter to cut a shape out of the bread, the shape is not as obvious once the egg is fried in it. If you have the same problem, that’s okay! The piece of bread you cut out and removed should be the perfect shape, so just make sure to give it a quick toast in the skillet and include it on your plate.
For St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to use a shamrock cookie cutter, and then spread my little shamrock toast with mashed avocado. It’s easiest to spread, and maintain the shamrock shape, if you place the cookie cutter back over your toast. Once you’ve got every inch covered, just carefully lift the cookie cutter off and transfer the toast to your plate.
I love that this breakfast is full of protein and healthy fats. It’s quite filling and provides great fuel to start your day. In fact, my husband even requested it for lunch!
This little recipe worked so well, and made such a cute and healthy St. Patrick’s Day breakfast, I’m already thinking about what I can do for future holidays. A heart with red or pink jam for Valentine’s Day? A pumpkin with pumpkin cream cheese for Halloween? Any other shapes and healthy toppings you can think of?
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 23.5
- Saturated fat: 6.5
- Carbohydrates: 28.5
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 290
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 13.5
- Cholesterol: 200
- 1 slice whole grain toast (We love Dave's Killer Bread 21 grains)
- ½ avocado
- ½ TBS butter (or coconut oil to go dairy free)
- 1 large egg
- ½ an avocado
- salt and pepper
- Use a shamrock cookie cutter to cut out the center of your bread.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet. Once it's melted, add your outer piece of bread.
- Crack the egg and drop it into the shamrock shaped hole in your bread. Let cook 3-5 minutes, until the egg is almost completely set.
- Use a spatula to flip the toast over in the pan, to lightly toast the other side and set the top of the egg. I just cook it about 30 seconds on the second side.
- Place your egg in a basket on a plate, and let's start on the avocado toast.
- Place your shamrock shaped piece of bread in the skillet to lightly toast it on both sides. You can turn off the stove once you've completed this step.
- Remove the avocado from the peel, and mash it up. I find this is easiest to do in a cereal bowl with a fork.
- Put your shamrock toast on the plate and place your cookie cutter back over it.
- Dump the mashed avocado onto the toast and use your fork to spread it out so it covers the toast completely. Remove the cookie cutter and arrange your green shamrock on your plate with the egg in a basket.
- Sprinkle a couple pinches of salt and pepper on both the egg and the avocado.
Gluten Free: I have tried this with gluten free bread to great success.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Eating Richly Even When You're Broke will receive a small commission. This helps us to cover some of the costs for this site. Thank you so much for your support!