When it comes to hosting a party, I have grand ideas of beautiful amazing decorating, fancy food, and hand designed invitations. Then I wake up and realize I’m sleep deprived, my house is a mess, and may have forgotten to brush my hair for three days. But there is one super easy technique I have that takes almost no time or effort on my part, but makes my party seem fancy and special.
Citrus ice cubes.
Not just pouring citrus juice into regular ice cubes, but beautiful, colorful, slices of real lemons, limes, and tangerines frozen in ice.
The only work is slicing your fruit and filling your trays. It takes about ten minutes, and is totally worth it. I try to slice up some citrus fruits about once a month, then put the citrus water filled muffin trays in my freezer. Once they’re completely frozen, I pop the cubes out, and store them in a gallon sized bag in the freezer.
If I have a party, I’ll use them all in a giant beverage jar. If I’m having a friend over for lunch, I can put two or three in a pitcher of water. It’s just a simple touch that says, my time with you is special.
Do you have any secret party shortcuts?
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 2 tangerines
- Slice both ends off of each piece of fruit, then slice the fruit into 4-6 circles.
- Fill the cups of a couple muffin trays 3/4 of the way with cold water.
- Place a citrus slice on top of the water in each cup, then use a glass to pour in additional water if needed.
- Place muffin trays in the freezer, and freeze overnight.
- Pop the cubes from the muffin trays (you can run the bottom of the trays under cool water if needed to loosen them) and place in a gallon sized plastic bag. Return bag to freezer.
Vegetarian/gluten free: Yes to both and vegan too.
We'd love to keep in touch. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and get your free download of our favorite healthy cute kid snacks.Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Eating Richly Even When You're Broke will receive a small commission. This helps us to cover some of the costs for this site. Thank you so much for your support!Nutritional and cost information is for estimating purposes only, and subject to variations due to region, seasonality, and product availability.