This orange cream smoothie post has been sponsored by Horizon® . All thoughts and opinions are my own.
A sweet orange cream smoothie makes a great after-school snack. Your kids won’t even realize how nutrient packed it is thanks to extra protein from Horizon® Organic High Protein Milk and a couple of hidden veggies.
FIGHTING AFTER-SCHOOL HUNGER WITH A PROTEIN-PACKED ORANGE CREAM SMOOTHIE
My oldest, Corban, is in Kindergarten this year, and one of the biggest challenges we’ve faced has been his hunger.
Lunchtime is short and he doesn’t get to snack whenever he wants, so he ends up hungry and short on energy by the time we pick him up.
Thankfully, we’ve learned that if we hand him an unprocessed organic snack when he gets in the car, he’s a lot happier by the time we get home.
And one of his favorite snacks right now is this creamy, dreamy, orange cream smoothie.
GET HORIZON ORGANIC HIGH PROTEIN MILK AT SAFEWAY
Horizon’s new High-Protein Milk has been rolling out across the country and can be found in the dairy section of your local Safeway.
I really like shopping at our Safeway because we always get fantastic customer service. I’ve known some of the employees there for over 12 years, and they love seeing how our kids are growing when we make a grocery trip.
I just discovered that I can also get Safeway coupons and deals right on my phone thanks to the Safeway app!
You can get a great deal on Horizon Organic’s Protein Milk, too. Just head here to grab your coupon!
WHY CHOOSE HIGH-PROTEIN MILK?
So, why choose Horizon Protein Milk for your orange cream smoothie? Because you get 12 grams of organic, complete dairy protein in every glass!
That protein helps support strong muscles, which is so important for our growing active kids.
HIDING VEGGIES IN AN ORANGE CREAM SMOOTHIE
Frozen orange cream pops were one of my favorite ice cream truck treats as a kid. Now that I have children of my own, they love the sweet and tangy orange treats as well.
It’s a lot easier to get them to eat frozen treats than a variety of vegetables, so I decided an orange cream smoothie would be a great way to combine the two.
I start with frozen bananas to get that creamy “nice” cream consistency. A couple of tangerines lend a fresh orange flavor, with vanilla extract for the cream sweetness.
To help with the bright orange color, I went with butternut squash and carrots. Both vegetables have a mild sweetness to them that goes so well with the tangerines.
I find the bananas and high protein milk are sweet enough for my family. But if your bananas aren’t as sweet or your kids need it a little sweeter, you can add a bit of maple syrup.
Just taste the smoothie before you add maple syrup. No point in adding sweetener that isn’t needed!
HOW TO MAKE AN ORANGE CREAM SMOOTHIE
- Zest two tangerines into your blender. Peel the tangerines and discard the peel, then add the tangerines to the blender.
- Place two frozen bananas (peeled) in the blender with a large carrot cut into chunks.
- Add one cup of cubed butternut squash.
- Pour in one cup of Horizon Organic Protein Milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add 3/4 cup of ice and blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and add up to a tablespoon of maple syrup if desired.
PIN TO SAVE ORANGE CREAM SMOOTHIE FOR LATER
Don’t lose the recipe! Pin to save this high-protein orange cream smoothie. Then leave a photo in the comments of the pin when you make the recipe. We love seeing your creations!
PRINTABLE ORANGE CREAM SMOOTHIE RECIPE
- 2 tangerines Array
- 2 frozen bananas Array
- 1 large carrot, cut into chunks Array
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash Array
- 1 cup Horizon® Organic Protein Milk Array
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Array
- 3/4 cup ice cubes Array
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, optional Array
- Zest the tangerines into the blender, then peel and discard the peel.
- Place tangerine fruit in blender with frozen bananas, carrot, and butternut squash.
- Add Horizon Organic Protein Milk, vanilla extract, and ice.
- Blend until completely smooth and creamy.
Nutritional Info is an estimate and does not include the optional maple syrup.
Serving Size:2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 33gProtein: 6g
Don’t forget your coupon for Horizon Organic High Protein Milk!