This is hands down the best tilapia recipe ever. Flavorful lemon parmesan tilapia is quickly broiled for a delicious tilapia recipe that’s 15 minutes start to finish!
A HEALTHY FISH RECIPE KIDS WILL ACTUALLY EAT
When I call this the best tilapia recipe ever, it’s not just my own opinion. My one and three year old confirm it, because they will each eat an entire parmesan tilapia filet. The only other fish recipe I’ve seen them get this excited about is Corban’s pistachio pesto salmon.
I’ve quickly learned that when we make parmesan tilapia, I need to plan on an adult serving for each kid, which is unheard of in our house!
THE BEST TILAPIA RECIPE EVER!
So what exactly makes this the best tilapia recipe? It’s the incredible flavors, and the fact that it’s so ridiculously fast and easy to make!
Tilapia is a pretty mild flavored fish, which is good because it doesn’t have the “fishy” taste that some kids (and adults!) can’t handle. But that also means that it needs a lot of flavor added to it, otherwise it just tastes boring.
The coating for the tilapia is packed with flavors like savory parmesan cheese, tangy lemon, aromatic basil and green onions, and a dash of hot sauce that gives a slight hint of spice you don’t even notice because it blends so well with the other flavors.
By broiling the tilapia, it cooks insanely fast. Just three minutes on a greased baking sheet, and another three minutes with the topping on.
Add on a couple easy sides (in the photos we’ve got a seaweed quinoa salad mix and baby spinach in a simple vinaigrette) and you can have a complete dinner ready in 15 minutes. Perfect for the end of a long day, or surprise company!
We’d love to hear if you make this, so let us know what you think in the comments below!
INGREDIENTS AND TOOLS TO MAKE THE BEST TILAPIA RECIPE EVER!
Here’s everything we use to make parmesan tilapia. These are affiliate links so anything you purchase from these links, we get a small percentage of without it costing you any extra. Thanks for helping to support our family business!
- 6 pounds fresh or defrosted tilapia fillets, about 1.5 total
- 4 Tablespoons butter, plus additional for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons chopped green onions, fresh or freeze dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil, fresh or freeze dried
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (like Old Bay, Creole, or Johnny's)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- dash of hot sauce, I used Frank's
- Preheat the broiler.
- Butter a 9x13 rimmed baking sheet, and lay the tilapia fillets on it in a single layer.
- In a medium bowl mix the butter, parmesan, lemon juice and zest, mayonnaise, green onions, basil, seasoning salt, pepper, and hot sauce into a paste.
- Broil the tilapia for three minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread the topping onto each fillet.
- Broil an additional 3-5 minutes until bubbly and golden.