Have you been daydreaming of a visit to a nearby creamery for some cake batter ice cream? This recipe will make your sweet dreams a reality!
Cake batter ice cream is one of my favorite flavors, so I was really excited to learn how easy it is to make at home. You simply stir your favorite cake mix into a basic vanilla ice cream recipe.
We’ve made this a few times, so I want to include a photo to show that it does indeed freeze up well into scoopable ice cream. But the rest of the photos are real life photos of how my kids are happy to eat it as soft serve soup rather than waiting for it to harden!
The first time I tried this recipe, I was blown away by how good it was. It tastes exactly the same as the cake batter ice cream you’d get in a fancy ice cream shop! The texture of the ice cream is also incredibly creamy and smooth.
I think there’s two reasons for the ice cream’s awesome texture. Rock hard ice cream is caused by frozen water crystals, so using whole milk and full fat heavy cream give this recipe a lower water content.
But I think the cake mix in the ice cream batter also helps to absorb water, just like in ice cream recipes that use a little bit of cornstarch.
Whatever science is behind it, this cake batter ice cream is 5 solid stars in both flavor and texture. It will become your go to basic ice cream recipe. Seriously, people will taste this ice cream and immediately ask you for the recipe!
As for making the ice cream, we love that it doesn’t require any stove top heating and then cooling in the fridge. Simply mix and pour into the ice cream machine. Not only does it mean you get ice cream made a lot faster, but it’s also safe for my little mini chefs to make together.
As you can see, Larkin was VERY excited to measure out the sugar, except she only poured half of it in and then turned the measuring cup the other way to see if it was empty!
I decided to help her dump the next scoop in. Don’t you love that concentration tongue?!
Of course the kids really like making cake batter ice cream. But their favorite part is…
…EATING (or drinking) cake batter ice cream!
Corban and Larkin like to top their cake batter ice cream with edible confetti. Do you have a favorite topping or mix in for cake batter ice cream?
KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS
By clicking one of these links before making a purchase on Amazon, we get a small percentage of your purchase, without it costing you anything extra! Thanks for helping to support our family business.
CAKE BATTER ICE CREAM RECIPE
- 1 cup whole milk, well chilled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake mix
- Make sure ice cream freezer bowl is frozen.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Stir in cake mix, making sure there are no lumps.
- Pour ice cream batter into the freezer bowl and turn on to mix until it has thickened (about 25-30 minutes or according to manufacturer instructions).
- Remove ice cream from freezer bowl and place into a separate container. We like using a loaf pan covered in plastic wrap.
- Put ice cream into the freezer to further harden for at least 30 minutes.
Serving Size:5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Saturated Fat: 10.41gCholesterol: 66.44mgSodium: 725.67mgCarbohydrates: 27.89gFiber: 0.11gSugar: 15.68gProtein: 1.36g
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Yogurt Parfait with Fresh Fruit // Courtney’s Sweets
- Quick and Easy Fudge Recipe // Momma Lew
- Berry Kiwi Cooler // Finding Zest
- Blueberry Lime Cupcakes // We’re Parents
- Dipped Sprinkled Ice Cream Cones // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Lavender Blueberry Ice Pops // Vegging at the Shore
- Real Fruit Healthy Slushies // O’Boy! Organic
- Fresh Peach Sorbet // My Mini Adventurer