This chicken fajita bowl recipe turns the bold flavors of chicken fajitas into an easy, kid friendly, one dish dinner. Your family will love it!
KID FRIENDLY CHICKEN FAJITA BOWL
My kids love the flavors of almost any Mexican or Mexican inspired dish. Even the spicy stuff! But at two and four, the presentation of fajitas is pretty intimidating. Especially the big, hot platter they’re usually served on! They often end up just gorging themselves on tortillas and don’t get much meat or veggies.
So I decided to use our favorite homemade fajita sauce to make a chicken fajita bowl with rice that’s a little more kid friendly. The kids even got to help make it!
They mixed together the fajita sauce, while I cooked up some chopped chicken in a pan on the stove. Then we stirred in the sauce and peppers, sprinkled it with cilantro, and served it over hot rice.
If you don’t want to make homemade fajita sauce, you could always use a packaged spice mix, but we like the homemade version better! You can also include any other ingredients you might like with your fajitas. Maybe add some shredded cheese, or a bit of avocado. Just keep in mind that anything you add will change the nutrition info.
SHARE YOUR CHICKEN FAJITA BOWL PICTURES!
If you make chicken fajita bowls at home, we’d love to see them! Just snap a picture with your phone and post it on our Facebook page.
SUPPLIES FOR MAKING CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS
Here’s what we used to make our chicken fajita bowls. These are affiliate links which means if you purchase ANYTHING from Amazon using these links, we get a small commission without it costing you anything extra. Thanks for supporting our family business!
- Begin cooking your rice if you haven't already.
- Cut the chicken breasts into half inch chunks and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium high and add the chicken breast pieces.
- Cook the chicken quickly, until almost completely cooked through (3-5 minutes), and remove from pan.
- Add the chopped bell peppers to the pan, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the fajita sauce. Let sauce come to a boil and cook another few minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Serving Size:4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Sodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gProtein: 13g
We'd love to keep in touch. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and get your free download of our favorite healthy cute kid snacks.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Eating Richly Even When You're Broke will receive a small commission. This helps us to cover some of the costs for this site. Thank you so much for your support!
Nutritional and cost information is for estimating purposes only, and subject to variations due to region, seasonality, and product availability.