This Jamaican burger recipe will blow your mind! It’s a Jamaican jerk seasoned burger topped with spicy pineapple sauce, sweet mango, and red bell pepper. It’s the stuff burger dreams are made of!
A JAMAICAN BURGER RECIPE FOR BURGER MONTH
My friend Kita at Girl Carnivore issues a Burger Month challenge each year: to create an over the top, epic burger recipe. Since I make burgers at least once a week as soon as the weather warms up, this was a challenge I couldn’t resist!
After playing around with a few sources of inspiration, I decided to go with the island flavors of Jamaica. While I’ve never been there, I love exploring different cuisines, and I just drool over the incredible flavors in the show Taste the Islands.
JAMAICAN JERK BURGER PATTIES
For the beef, we use local grass fed beef we get from a small farm just 30 minutes away. If you’ve never had grass fed beef, get yourself to a butcher. It’s amazing! The beef is lean and full of flavor.
You can grill the patties outdoors, or use a grill pan on your stove.
We were so fortunate to be given this awesome two burner grill and griddle pan from Anolon, which has become my favorite pan for cooking meat! You can enter to win one as well as a bunch of other amazing grilling tools. Get the link at the bottom of the post.
Each of these burger patties has a full tablespoon of jerk seasoning to kick up the flavor, but the spicy pineapple sauce is where things get really exciting.
SPICY PINEAPPLE SAUCE
You could certainly use fresh pineapple for a more authentic Jamaican inspired pineapple sauce. But busy parents need quick and easy shortcuts, so we went with a can of pineapple chunks.
After draining the liquid, the pineapple goes into a high powered blender with some garlic, onion, molasses, apple cider vinegar, salt, and a whole jalapeno. If you are nervous about the sauce being too spicy, you can split and seed the jalapeno before you add it.
Blend everything together to get a nice thick sauce, kind of the consistency of apple sauce. You want it thick so it sits on the burger instead of running off everywhere.
JAMAICAN BURGER RECIPE CONDIMENTS
Then our saucy Jamaican burger is topped with some crunchy red bell pepper rings, and thin slices of sweet ripe mango.
I used fresh from the bakery brioche rolls for the buns, split in half and toasted on the griddle while the burgers cook. Spread both halves of the bun with some mayonnaise, and create a bed of shredded lettuce on the bottom bun for your Jamaican burger to rest on.
Serve with an icy cold, light beer, and be ready to book a flight to Jamaica. Seriously, this burger will transport your taste buds!
If you’re drooling over this recipe, there are about 90 of us sharing epic burger recipes all month long. Plus a whole slew of brands put together an awesome grilling giveaway. Make sure to get all the info, and links to the other recipes, at the end of this post. Trust me, you don’t want to miss it.
INGREDIENTS AND SUPPLIES FOR THIS JAMAICAN BURGER RECIPE
Here’s what we used to make this epic burger. These are affiliate links, which means if you buy ANYTHING from Amazon using these links, we get a small commission without it costing you any extra. Thanks for supporting our family business!
Spicy Pineapple Sauce
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in juice, , drained
- 1 jalapeno, , stem removed (remove seeds as well if you want it less spicy)
- 1/2 small white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon molasses
Jamaican Jerk Patties
- 1 pound lean ground beef, , we use local grass fed
- 4 tablespoons jerk seasoning
- coarse salt to taste, , omit this if your jerk seasoning is salty
- 4 brioche buns
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup crisp shredded lettuce, , like iceberg or romaine hearts
- 1 red bell pepper, , seeded and sliced into rings
- 1 mango, , peeled and sliced thin
- Start by putting all the pineapple sauce ingredients into a blender and blending on high until completely pureed. Set aside.
- Mix the beef with the jerk seasoning. I like to fry up a pinch of the beef to taste it and see if it needs salt. I found ours needed about 1/2 a teaspoon of coarse salt mixed in as well.
- Form the beef mix into four patties, and grill on high on a outdoor grill or a grill pan on the stove. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until done to your satisfaction. We like them medium, which is 145F, but the safety recommendation is 160F.
- While the burgers are cooking, split your buns and lightly toast the insides on the grill.
- Spread each toasted bun half with mayonnaise.
- Make a bed of shredded lettuce onto the bottom half of each bun.
- Place a Jamaican burger patty onto the lettuce, and pour a couple tablespoons of pineapple sauce onto each burger.
- Top the sauce with a few red pepper rings and slices of mango.
- Put the top bun on and get ready for your taste buds to run off to the islands!
The nutrition facts calculated are estimates, and include 1/4 of the spicy pineapple sauce. There will be a lot less sugar in the recipe by only using a couple tablespoons of sauce on each burger.
This is dairy free, and can be gluten free if you use a gluten free bun.
Serving Size:4 burgers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 921mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 6gSugar: 33gProtein: 30g
CHECK OUT BURGER MONTH 2017 AND ENTER TO WIN!
If you are a burger lover, you can’t miss the epic awesomeness of Burger Month!
There’s even an Ultimate Grilling Kit prize pack from a whole bunch of incredible brands. It’s going to one lucky Burger Month reader, and I hope it’s you! Check out what’s up for grabs:
● American Lamb Board – (ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
● Anolon – 10″x 18″ Double Burner Griddle and Grill Pan
● Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner – prize packs of beefy grilling-themed goodies
● Char-Broil – Char-Broil Kettleman Grill
● Curly’s BBQ – Curly’s BBQ Pork Pack
● Cuttingboard.com – Olive Wood Carver Board
● Melissa’s Produce – Baby vegetable box
● Primal Stone – XL Primal Stone
● Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
● Thermoworks – Thermapen Mk4
● Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and grilling gear
Isn’t that amazing?! Thanks to all the sponsors of Burger Month, and to the talented bloggers putting together some seriously incredible burgers.
Make sure to follow along by checking out #BurgerMonth on your favorite social media channels, and visiting BurgerMonth.com as it’s updated daily with new burgers.
And don’t forget to pin this Jamaican Burger to save it for later! You can also find more epic burger pins on the Burger Month pin board. Hope you’re hungry!
We'd love to keep in touch. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and get your free download of our favorite healthy cute kid snacks.
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your costs will be the same but Eating Richly Even When You're Broke will receive a small commission. This helps us to cover some of the costs for this site. Thank you so much for your support!
Nutritional and cost information is for estimating purposes only, and subject to variations due to region, seasonality, and product availability.