These zucchini, biscuit, and chicken nugget kabobs are a kid friendly meal that your little ones will love to help make.They’re also a great way to get your kids excited about cooking and eating vegetables!
KID FRIENDLY MEAL
In our family, kid friendly meal means there’s at least one familiar ingredient, some good color, and something fun that makes it exciting to eat.
We are always looking for a good, healthy kid friendly meal, so were excited to give this one a try. While we don’t normally buy canned biscuits or frozen chicken nuggets, there was something so simple and fun about this recipe that we decided to play with it.
HEALTHY CHICKEN NUGGETS
While you can definitely make your own healthy chicken nuggets, this recipe is all about ease and convenience, not making chicken nuggets from scratch.
To keep things healthier, we buy organic white meat boneless chicken wings or popcorn chicken. They’re made from whole pieces of chicken breasts, rather than gobs of blended chicken bits (and possible foreign matter!). When money is tight, we still buy the popcorn or boneless wings, and just skip getting organic.
MORE HEALTHY OPTIONS
For a healthier whole grain serving, you can use thawed whole wheat dinner roll dough instead of the canned biscuit dough. That’s what I will use in the future, but I wanted Corban to get to see the cool popping can for his first time making these.
We love that this is a kid friendly meal that has both our kids just as excited about eating zucchini as they are about eating the chicken nuggets and bread. Plus, Corban has been anti meat for a while, so it’s actually quite exciting to see him gobbling down his chicken!
COOKING GEAR FOR KIDS
By the way, big shout out to Handstand Kids for sending us the absolutely adorable aprons and hats.
Larkin is not just my mini chef, she’s my mini me!
They’ve offered our readers a sweet 25% off in the Handstand Kids store with the code “Mini”, so check them out and grab your mini chef some gear!
Do you have a favorite kid friendly meal? We’d love have you share it in the comments below!
THANKS FOR SUPPORTING EATING RICHLY EVEN WHEN YOU’RE BROKE
By clicking one of these links before making a purchase on Amazon, we get a small percentage of your purchase, without it costing you anything extra! Thanks for helping to support our family business.
- 12 cooked breaded frozen boneless chicken wings or popcorn chicken
- 1 can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into half circles
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate and microwave, uncovered,for 1 minute to soften just enough to insert skewers.
- Tear 3 biscuits into 4 pieces each. The remaining biscuits are extras that you can cook according to package instructions.
- On each of six wooden skewers, thread zucchini, chicken, biscuit, zucchini, chicken, biscuit, and finally another zucchini.
- Place skewers on a lightly greased baking sheet, or a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chicken is heated through.
- While they're baking, whisk together melted butter and honey. Drizzle some of the mixture over kabobs and pass the rest for dipping.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 11 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started and how to link up!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate, link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- Chocolate Caramel Apple Nachos // Courtney’s Sweets
- Easy Pizza Dough Recipe // Momma Lew
- Easy Pumpkin Bread Pudding // Baby Loving Mama
- Homemade Bread Bowl Recipe // We’re Parents
- Simple & Sweet Tea Party Menu // Frugal Novice
- Kid Friendly Meal Chicken Nugget Kabobs // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Mango Clementine Banana Smoothie // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Yummy Dutch Apple Crisp // Step Stool Chef
- Riceless Vegetable Sushi // Vegging at the Shore
- Chicken Chilaquiles with Eggs // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Apple Pie Taquitos // O’Boy! Organic
- Strawberry Blueberry Swirl Fruit Leather // Can’t Google Everything