This sandwich sushi roll will delight and surprise your kids at lunch. It’s fast and easy to make, and a fun way to remind your school age kids how much you care.
We are thrilled to be working with Horizon Organic, who paid us for this post and video. We choose to work with Horizon Organic because we love their products, and believe in their company values.
LOOKING FOR A REAL SUSHI ROLL FOR KIDS? CHECK OUT OUR EASY CANNED TUNA SUSHI FOR KIDS!
SANDWICH SUSHI ROLL FOR BACK TO SCHOOL LUNCH
I can’t believe that my oldest child, Corban, is going to kindergarten in just a couple weeks. How is he old enough for that?
Along with the start of kindergarten comes the decision of packing lunch or buying lunch. I prefer to send lunch whenever possible, so we know what he is eating, and can also include organic ingredients. (Yes this sandwich sushi roll is organic!)
Now you all know how much I love making cute kid food. It delights my soul, and the smiles and laughter from my children truly warm my heart.
But as much as I love the idea of sending him to school with an adorable daily bento box scene, I know that just isn’t realistic for me.
Thankfully, there are easy ways to add a touch of cute to his lunch. Like this simple sandwich sushi roll!
HOW TO MAKE A SANDWICH SUSHI ROLL
It’s ridiculously easy to make a sandwich sushi roll. The key things to remember are not to stuff it too full, and to make sure you have an nice overlap of bread to seal the roll together.
- Start by trimming the crusts from a piece of organic whole grain bread.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread nice and thin.
- Spread your child’s favorite condiments on the bread. I used organic mustard and mayonnaise.
- Top the bread with two slices of lunchmeat. I used organic turkey breast. You may need to trim your lunchmeat so it is smaller than the bread. You want a 1/4 inch piece of bread at the top with no meat on it to make the sandwich sushi roll stick together.
- Next slice a thin carrot stick and cucumber stick and place them at the bottom end of the sandwich.
- Slice a Horizon Organic cheese stick in half the long way, and place it with the cucumber and carrot. My son prefers their Colby cheese sticks, my daughter loves their mozzarella.
- Now you are going to tightly roll the sandwich sushi roll from the bottom to the top. Make sure the cucumber, carrot, and cheese stick are snugly squeezed together.
- Once you have a tight roll, give it a good squeeze, and press along the bread seam to seal.
- Use a sharp knife to cut your sandwich sushi roll into coins. Cut straight down, do not use a back and forth sawing motion.
WHY WE CHOOSE ORGANIC DAIRY
We can’t always afford to eat completely organic. But we always prefer organic dairy products.
This was a decision I made right after Corban was born, because I was SO careful about what I ate and what medicines I took. I knew that anything I consumed would go straight into my milk.
Then it hit me that if I was so worried about what was in my milk, perhaps I should be worried about what was in cow’s milk. That’s when I began researching and decided to buy organic dairy.
LOVE THE SANDWICH SUSHI ROLL AND WANT ANOTHER CUTE LUNCH IDEA? CHECK OUT OUR HUMMUS MONSTER!
To qualify for the ORGANIC label, dairy farms must meet 5 criteria:
- No Antibiotics (given to cows)
- No Toxic or Persistent Pesticides
- No Growth Hormones (given to cows)
- Healthy Living Conditions (for cows)
ANTIBIOTICS IN NON-ORGANIC DAIRY
We have a history of various antibiotic allergies in my family. In fact I have had allergic reactions to some meat because of the antibiotics given to the animals.
Between allergies, and increasing concerns over antibiotic resistance, I love knowing we are not getting antibiotics through our dairy.
From the Horizon Organic milk boxes, to the Horizon Organic Cheese Sticks in the sandwich sushi roll, I can know my son isn’t getting antibiotics in his lunch.
BETTER CONDITIONS FOR COWS
I also love that organic dairy farms require much stricter living conditions and health care for cows.
We really care how our food is raised, and even visit farms to check out the living conditions!
Only 6% of milk sold in the US is certified organic dairy. So make sure to check your milk boxes for the USDA ORGANIC label.
PIN TO SAVE SANDWICH SUSHI ROLL FOR LATER
PRINTABLE SANDWICH SUSHI ROLL RECIPE
- 1 slice organic whole grain bread
- 1/4 teaspoon organic mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon organic mayonnaise
- 2 slices organic turkey lunchmeat
- 1 thin organic carrot stick
- 1 thin organic cucumber stick
- 1 Horizon Organic Colby Cheese Stick
- Trim crusts from the bread, and use a rolling pin to roll into a thin rectangle. Place the rectangle so that a short side is facing you.
- Spread the bread with mayonnaise and mustard, leaving a 1/4 inch strip at the top short side.
- Place the turkey on the bread. Trim as necessary to fit the bread, and leave a 1/4 inch strip at the top.
- Place the carrot stick and cucumber stick at the bottom end of the turkey.
- Slice the Horizon Organic Cheese Stick in half, and lay it alongside the carrot and cucumber.
- Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the sandwich sushi roll. Make sure to squeeze the carrot, cucumber, and cheese sticks so they nestle together.
- When rolled completely, give the roll a squeeze all over. Then press along the bread seam to seal.
- Use a sharp knife to cut your sandwich sushi roll into coins, using a firm downward motion.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g