It’s so easy to make these cute pumpkin shaped sugar cookies without a cookie cutter. You can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe, or even use refrigerated sugar cookie or peanut butter cookie dough. In this version, we used a tube of Pillsbury peanut butter cookie dough.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES WITHOUT A COOKIE CUTTER
I got the idea for these cookies from Food.com, and it’s so ridiculously easy that I had to get the kids involved and share it with you guys.
You can use your favorite cookie recipe, or grab a tube of refrigerated cookie dough. Our family loves peanut butter, so we went with the peanut butter cookie dough. Whatever you use, make sure to add the extra egg yolk and flour to help them hold their ridges when they bake. Then divide the dough into 28 balls, and roll each one in orange sugar crystals.
Use a toothpick to press lines all around each ball to make a ridged pumpkin shape.
Then stick half of a pretzel stick into the top of each pumpkin for a stem.
After the cookies have baked and cooled, you can use green frosting to give each of your pumpkin shaped sugar cookies a little leaf. We used a bag of cookie icing. It all pools together in a little blob, but you can use a toothpick to make it more leaf like once its dried. You could also make your own icing and pipe more detailed leaves and stems if you like.
KIDS GO NUTS FOR THESE PUMPKIN SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES!
My kids loved getting to decorate their pumpkins with leaves.
Corban was quite the helpful big brother, showing Larkin how to squeeze the icing on. Notice the lack of a stem on her cookie?
That’s because they immediately started biting the stems off the cookies when I brought them over for decorating. Apparently they just looked like they needed to be eaten. You’ve been warned!
Once we were done decorating, it was time to eat the cookies they’d bitten the stems off of. Hmmm, maybe that was their plan all along!
Then Corban discovered that the cookies crumble beautifully into perfect dirt for trucks and cars to drive through!
Plus the dirt tastes like peanut butter!
I of course just stood there taking pictures, rather than stopping him.
Larkin decided to follow big brother’s lead and go grab a little train to drive through her crumbs.
It became quite the sensory and play driven experience. Daddy was not so excited about cleaning it up though.
MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES (OR PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES!)
Here’s the ingredients and supplies we used to make these cute pumpkin shaped cookies. By clicking these links to buy ANYTHING from Amazon, your cost stays the same, but we get a small commission. Thanks for helping to support our family business!
PIN TO SAVE:
Pumpkin Shaped Cookies Without a Cookie Cutter
It's so easy to make these cute pumpkin shaped sugar cookies without a cookie cutter. You can even use refrigerated sugar or peanut butter cookie dough! Recipe used with permission from Food.com
- 1 ounce roll pillsbury refrigerated peanut butter cookies, 16 1/2
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup ⁄2 all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ⁄3 orange decorator sugar crystals
- 14 in thin pretzel sticks, broken half
- green icing
- Heat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, blend cookie dough, egg yolk and flour until well mixed.
- Pour sugar crystals into small bowl. Shape dough into 28 (1 inch) balls; roll in sugar crystals.
- Insert 1 pretzel piece into each ball for pumpkin stem.
- Use a toothpick to make lines around sides for pumpkin ridges. Place balls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or just until set in center when touched with fingertip. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Decorate with green icing.