It’s easy to turn your favorite cupcake recipe into holiday snowman cupcakes using marshmallows and candy. Make cupcake decorating a fun Christmas tradition the whole family can enjoy!
EASY SNOWMAN CUPCAKES
There are so many creative snowman cupcakes recipes out there. Snowman face cupcakes, shaggy coconut snowman cupcakes, even melted snowman cupcakes!
I was asked by a client to make some snowman cupcakes using marshmallows. But I knew that I needed to keep things simple.
With a baby who seemed ready to be born any day, I couldn’t handle sitting for hours of detailed decorating. So I headed to the grocery store candy aisle to see what snowman cupcakes decorating ideas came to me.
I came home with a bagful of sweets and the inspiration for some cute, easy snowman cupcakes.
SNOWMAN CUPCAKES SUPPLIES
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you buy anything on Amazon through one of these links, we get a small commission. But it doesn’t cost you anything extra. Thanks for supporting our family business!
These are the specific supplies I used to decorate my snowman cupcakes. The candy was all bought at my local grocery store. The candy glue and food dye marker were both from Amazon.
ROLO MILK CHOCOLATE CARAMELS
These caramels in milk chocolate make the perfect stovepipe part of the top hats for snowman cupcakes.
The chocolate coins I found in the store were in bags of assorted sizes. I thought that all three sizes worked just fine for the brim of the top hats.
WILTON CANDY GLUE
Wilton Dab-N-Hold Edible Adhesive is basically a thick sugar syrup. This edible glue is great at holding little bits of candy in place once it dries.
You just need regular sized Jet-Puffed Marshmallows to make the snowman cupcakes faces.
BLACK FOOD DYE MARKER
These food decorator pens are easy to use. You could try using candy like mini chocolate chips for the snowman smile. But I found that drawing the smile was easier and faster.
The M&Ms minis are the perfect size for snowman cupcakes accessories. We used blue for eyes, and red and green for buttons. You could also use Wilton candy eyes if you’d like.
MIKE & IKE
Orange Mike & Ike candies make the perfect carrot noses for your snowmen.
MINI CANDY CANES
Break mini candy canes into pieces an inch or so long. These will be the arms for the snowman cupcakes.
Feel free to use a cake mix or your favorite cupcake recipe. Line muffin cups with cute holiday cupcake liners before filling with the batter and baking.
You can use any sort of white frosting like a vanilla frosting or our healthy cream cheese frosting. I went with my favorite buttercream frosting for this batch of snowman cupcakes. I’ll include that frosting recipe in the printable recipe card.
HOW TO MAKE SNOWMAN CUPCAKES
- Start with 24 vanilla or white cupcakes baked in your favorite cupcake papers.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat softened butter and powdered sugar until completely combined. Add real vanilla extract and heavy cream, then continue to mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pipe the frosting on top of cooled cupcakes. You can use a pastry bag or a resealable plastic bag with the corner snipped off. I don’t even bother with a frosting tip, just pipe straight out of the bag.
- For the snowman cupcakes’ hats, unwrap a Rolo and a chocolate coin. Put a little edible adhesive in the center of the chocolate coin and press the narrower side of the Rolo into the glue. Place the hats aside for a few minutes to let the adhesive dry.
- To make each marshmallow head, use a bit of edible adhesive to attach blue mini m&ms for eyes. Then snip a small hole below them and poke in an orange Mike and Ike for the nose. Finally, use the black food dye marker to make a dotted smile. Lay each head down for the adhesive to dry.
- When your heads and hats are ready, dab a bit of edible adhesive to the top of the marshmallow and press the hat onto it. Nestle the bottom of the marshmallow into each of the frosted cupcakes.
- Finish your snowman cupcakes by poking two mini candy cane pieces in the sides for arms, and pressing two mini m&ms into the front for buttons.
PIN TO SAVE SNOWMAN CUPCAKES FOR LATER
Make sure to save these cute cupcakes to Pinterest so you don’t lose them! Then you can leave a photo in the comments of the pin when you make your own snowman cupcakes. We love seeing what you create!
MORE CUTE SNOWMAN RECIPES
SNOWMAN CUPCAKES PRINTABLE RECIPE
It's easy to turn your favorite cupcake recipe into holiday snowman cupcakes using marshmallows and candy. Feel free to use a box mix or any white or vanilla cupcake recipe. You can also change out the candy with whatever you have on hand, like pretzel sticks for the arms, or candy corn for the noses. This recipe does not include cook time for the cupcakes.
Adapted with permission from Genius Kitchen.
- 24 white or vanilla cupcakes, cooked and cooled
- Wilton's edible adhesive
- 24 chocolate coins
- 24 Rolos
- 24 marshmallows
- 48 blue mini m&ms
- 24 orange Mike and Ike candies
- black food decorator pen
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 48 red or green mini m&ms
- 12 mini candy canes
- Once your cupcakes are cooked and cooling, start by unwrapping the chocolate coins and Rolo candies. Use a little adhesive in the center of each coin to attach a Rolo with the narrow end down.
- Use two small dots of adhesive to glue blue mini m&ms to each marshmallow for eyes.
- Use scissors to snip a small hole below the eyes and poke an orange Mike & Ike in for the carrot nose.
- Use the black food dye marker to make dots for a smile.
- Set the heads aside lying on their backs to let the glue dry.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the softened butter and powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Add vanilla extract and heavy cream, then continue to mix until smooth and creamy.
- Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off, pipe a tower of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Use another dot of edible adhesive to glue each chocolate hat on top of each marshmallow head. Gently press each marshmallow head into the frosting of its snowman cupcake.
- Press two red or green mini m&ms into the front of the frosting for buttons, then poke two mini candy cane pieces into the sides for arms.
Serving Size:24 cupcakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 55gSugar: 43gProtein: 3g
1 thought on “Snowman Cupcakes Using Marshmallows and Candy”
These little snowman cupcakes are so cute and they look easy enough even I could make them