Ready for some more cute kid food? Corban really loves bell peppers , just like his mama. I think he’s attracted by their bright colors, and likes how they feel against his teething gums when they’re nice and cold from the fridge. Since he also loves avocado, I thought this would be a perfect snack to introduce him to the concept of dipping. Kids LOVE dipping their food!
When choosing your bell pepper for this healthy St. Patrick’s Day snack, look for a green one with four ridges. Just turn it over and look at the bottom, there should be four bumps, and they need to be pretty distinctive to get the shamrock shape. I also choose organic bell peppers. I can’t afford to buy all of my produce organically, so I use a handy app called Smart Foods Organic Diet Buddy. It has a list of produce with an easy red, yellow, or green coding to help you determine which ones have the highest pesticide rates. There’s also an app from the Environmental Working Group, they’re both free so you can see which one you like better. Bell peppers have the third highest pesticide rates of all produce, and the green ones are the worst, so I always go for the organic ones, especially for Corban’s tiny body.
Avocados on the other hand, are on the Clean Fifteen list, which is great because we go through five a week!
I love that this is another cute St. Patrick’s Day recipe that uses natural ingredients and is naturally green. I’m not against using food coloring once in a while, but I prefer natural options.
Do you have a favorite naturally green St. Patrick’s Day recipe?
MORE DIP RECIPES ON EATING RICHLY:
- Traditional Chinese Plum Sauce
- Poststicker Sauce
- Gaucamole Bacon Burger Dip
- Two Minute Guacamole
- Pico De Gallo
- Salsa Verde
- Fresh Mango Salsa
- Pomegranate Salsa
- Baba Ganoush
Bell Pepper Shamrocks with Avocado Dip
Bell pepper shamrocks with avocado dip make an all natural, healthy, St. Patrick's Day snack.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Wash your bell pepper well, then dry. Slice about 1/4-1/2 inch off of the bottom of the pepper.
- Continue making 1/4 inch slices of the pepper. You will get anywhere from 3 to 8 shamrocks depending on the shape and size of the pepper.
- Use remaining scraps of pepper to slice inch long pieces of "stem" for your shamrocks.
- Remove avocado from its peel and place in a bowl. Mash with the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a small dipping bowl.
- Arrange shamrocks and dip on a plate. This can be served at room temperature or cold.
Approximate cost/serving: This costs a little more with the organic peppers, but it still comes out under $3 so around $1.50 a serving. You can save even more money by preserving avocados when they're on sale!
Vegetarian/Gluten Free: Yes to both and vegan too.
1 thought on “Healthy St. Patrick’s Day Snack Bell Pepper Shamrocks with Avocado Dip”
How easy yet festive! Perfect for the upcoming holiday.